Stress is supposed to be a bad thing, right?
We’re told this constantly by social media, TV, and doctors. I’m not a fan of stress either, but I can’t deny that it is part of my life.
We all experience stress in one way or another. Some of us perhaps more than others (Hi! Have we met? I’m Val!). It’s a constant that behaves like those annoying gnats do every summer. It just doesn’t completely go away.
After a particularly stressful period last week, I chose to reflect on how I felt after the fact. I was stressed, but I realized that I had faced what I call “good stress”, and not stress that beat me down mentally. Now, I define “good stress” as “things which it’s completely okay or normal to be worried about.” In fact, me telling myself just that alleviated some anxiety for me.
This led me to some other observations about stress, and I thought I would share some of those thoughts with you.
Here are some things that I noticed when it comes to stress, and how to handle it. Let me know if you agree with any of this…
- We might “need” some stress: There are some things that it’s completely okay to be worried about. Give yourself some credit and understand that some of life’s stresses are the result of good in your life. For example: Are you frustrated that you have a car broken down? You have this problem because you have a car. Think about that! That is amazing! Under a deadline? Yep, that’s stressful – but someone thinks you’re important enough to hold you to one! You can do it!
- All stress is temporary: Even if it seems like your rough patch is lasting months or years, it will end.
- Stress can have a domino effect on your life: Be careful – stress (and your mood because of it) can bring up some negative things. It can make you behave in ways you normally wouldn’t. Realize this. Own this. Forgive yourself for this. Apologize. Move on.
- Stress isn’t an excuse to be a dick: First off, nobody likes that guy. Second off, as I mentioned previously, you can’t quite behave in a way that you know is wrong just because you’re stressed. Be better. If you slip up on that, apologize, forgive yourself, and learn.
- Stress is inevitable: It’s going to happen. You’ll never completely escape it. Acknowledge this, and give yourself a break. Don’t feel guilty or like you “failed” because you’re experiencing it. It’s normal. Just conquer it.
I hope this brought some help, or comfort. Let’s get through this together!