I’ve preached about the magic of Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder for some time now. They’re just my favorites. So much so, that I joke that they’re my actual parents (they’re not).
One thing that I’ve been enjoying doing while quarantined (when I’m not working, creating content, or studying anyway) is watching any movie they’ve been in. Okay, maybe not just any movie, but the good ones – ya know?
For starters, we have to remember that this couple was so sweet while together and seemed so well matched. They’re not together anymore, but do still support each other even years later.
That alone is a wonderful story to think about during such a crazy time for all of us.
If you need some movies to watch while quarantined due to COVID-19, and in you’re in the mood some odd/creepy/somehow heartwarming stories, check out any of my nineteen favorite Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder movies.
- Edward Scissorhands: The best movie that they made while together. It reminds us to love others as is.
- Beetlejuice: A Winona one that is quite simply a classic for any goth or paranormal fan.
- Sleepy Hollow: Who doesn’t love the tale of the headless horseman!? This is a Johnny classic.
- Heathers: The original (and wayyyy darker) Mean Girls, which Winona stared in.
- Pirates Of The Caribbean: Go through the whole iconic Johnny series and you’ll kill a day easily. He did a wonderful job of owning Captian Jack Sparrow here.
- Secret Window: A Johnny thriller/mystery that will keep you invested and entertained!
- Girl, Interrupted: The best movie Winona Ryder ever made, hands down.
- A Scanner Darkly: Leave it to Philip K. Dick to put something that makes you think together so well. Winona plays a pretty important character in this one.
- Reality Bites: College in the 90s at it’s best. Thank you, Winona!
- Mr. Deeds: Not quite family friendly, but perfect for a laugh! Winona plays lead here.
- Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas: You can’t stop here, this is bat country. Enjoy a Johnny classic!
- Benny & Joon: Such a sweet story. Johnny shows off some talented Buster Keaton moves here! We get an extension of his range as an actor for sure.
- Corpse Bride: A Tim burton foray into animation. Of course Johnny is part of it.
- Rango: Good one to sit and enjoy with the kids.
- What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?: Another Johnny classic.
- Dead Man: Another Johnny one with a bonus appearance from Iggy Pop.
Before I get some criticism for leaving Cry Baby off of this list, allow me to say that I just find it freaking weird. The plot did not resonate with me. I wasn’t a fan. Overall, I found the whole thing to be just a giant ball of distraction. However, I guess you can include it as an honorable mention if you wish. The same goes for Johnny’s version of Alice In Wonderland and Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. They’re great movies, but we’ve already heard this stories, in my opinion. They can be interesting if you want to see his take on those characters. You’d have to include Stranger Things as an honorable mention too, I’d imagine.
What movies would you have included in this list?