There’s a reason why some songs just pump us up and others don’t. It’s all in how you connect with them.
When I realized I was super burnt out last week (because 2020 is just a rough one for everyone overall, including me), I knew that I couldn’t stay uninspired or unmotivated forever. I had to find my “why.'”
For me, nothing does a better job of reminding me why I choose to live and engage in my hobbies than music. Nothing gets me ready for a day or helps me wind down after one better than music. So, why not get inspired by going back to the songs that mean something and say something?
If you’re looking for some to add to your playlist, here’s what helped me…
- Halestorm – “Uncomfortable”: I mean, in the song Lzzy literally screams, “I do it ’cause you hate me, and I do it for the ladies, and with all of my good time friends. I do it ’cause the whole damn world’s gone crazy and fuck it man, this is the end!” Isn’t that why any of us do anything in life? HA! Every verse in “Uncomfortable” celebrates individuality, and we need that reminder to let us know it’s okay to be us.
Moving on to my second pick….
2. Busta Rhymes – “Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check”: Busta’s debut single from 1996 still slaps today. I threw it on when I was walking into work and needed to remind myself that I’m good at my job and everyone else better take a seat and let me work my magic – because I come correct, and so do you. You can put it on when you need that ego boost too. Woo hah!!
I think it’s time to take it back to an artist who formed my teen years with this next one.
3. Avril Lavigne – “Rock N’ Roll”: Bias alert! Avril has had my heart since I was 12 – and I’m 30 now. She doesn’t write overly complicated lyrics, but it’s nice to know that “Rock N’ Roll” is in her repertoire and totally a product of her spirit. “We don’t need no one to tell us who to be. We’ll keep turning up the radio. What if you and I just put up a middle finger to the sky – let them know that we’re still rock ‘n roll.”
Isn’t she amazing!? Okay, time to get more modern with this next one.
4. The Carters – “APESHIT”: They ask an important question, “have you ever seen a crowd goin’ apeshit?” Why do Beyoncé and Jay-Z ask us this? Well, because this song literally explains how they recognized their power as entertainers – and it reminds us to find our own. “I said no to the Superbowl, you need me, I don’t need you. Every night we in the endzone, tell the NFL we in stadiums too.”
It’s just a general rule in life that you can always turn to Bey and Jay for some serious motivation.
5. Skid Row – “Slave To The Grind”: Another musical reminder that we shouldn’t be slaves to our seemingly daunting lives. We make our own destiny. “‘Cause I won’t be the one left behind! Can’t be king of the world if you’re slave to the grind! Tear down the rat racial slime. Can’t be king of the world if you’re slave to the grind!”
What songs do you put on when you need a confidence boost?